The Level Three Program is a personal journey to Self-Realization. In it, we refine our authentic identity as a Teacher and deepen our unique relationship to the Sacred.
PRE-REQUISITES for Level Three eligibility:
Section A: TEACHING and CERTIFICATIONS – All are required.
1. Level One Certified
2. Level Two Certified (completion of all five L 2 modules);
3. Taught 500 hours of Kundalini Yoga (since the Level 1 graduation)
4. In compliance with the current Code of Ethics & Professional Standards of a Kundalini Yoga Teacher and conduct yourself in accordance with the highest professional standards.
Section B: PERSONAL PRACTICE – Need to have fulfilled a minimum of TWO practices below.
Option 1: TWO items from Meditation & Personal Practice category
Option 2: ONE item from Meditation & Personal Practice and ONE item from Community Service.
Meditation and Personal Practice
5. Completion of:
a) Long Ek Ong Kars — 40 Days 2 ½ hours before sunrise
b) Kirtan Kriya — 40 Days 2 ½ hours while wearing white
c) Master’s Touch — 40 Days 2 ½ hour
d) Full Aquarian Sadhana — 40 Days
e) A physical exercise Kriya in Kundalini Yoga as taught by Yogi Bhajan ® (60 min+) — 40 Days.
f) Other 40 Day 2 ½ hour meditation
g) Personally attended 40 of Yogi Bhajan’s classes or watched 40 Yogi Bhajan videos with consciousness of a student.
h) Sahej Paath (any language)
6. Engagement in and service to the 3HO community for at least 2 consecutive years in any of the following ways:
a) Seva Team Leader at Solstice or Yoga Festival
b) Organized or host local events like White Tantric Yoga
c) Organized community potlucks, Full Moon Meditations etc.
d) Organized an Akandh Paath
e) Participated in communal Seva Projects like Free Kitchens
f) Publishing newsletters, translating KY/3HO materials
g) Held a role of responsibility in a national or local 3HO related organization
h) Other comparable activities.
LEVEL THREE PROGRAM
The program focuses on the three qualities of a Spiritual Teacher: Spiritual Maturity, Meditative Mind and Seva. These qualities are intended to be cultivated and interwoven in all three levels of teacher training. However, it is in Level Three that we experience their integration.
To receive a Level Three certificate, one will need to complete the requirements for each of these three qualities.
The Three Qualities
1. Spiritual Maturity
Goal: To develop an authentic and fully integrated presence as Teacher, achieved through self-reflection, spiritual lifestyle practices and peer dialogue support.
• The ability to penetrate through presence.
• Well cultivated wisdom (beyond knowledge or intellect).
• Humility – recognition that God is the doer.
• Living a spiritually conscious life in alignment with the “The 16 Facets of Perfection of a Kundalini Yoga Teacher.
• Maintaining a spiritual discipline in service of our Isht (sacredness).
• Pursuing one’s destiny.
• Continuous self-improvement through self-reflection.
• Balance of Shakti and Bhakti.
• Presence of Consciousness.
• Obeying the Laws of Deliverance and Sustenance as a Teacher.
• Practice of love, kindness, compassion, and seeing God in all.
• A recognition that we are continually growing and ever evolving.
Participate in Annual Kundalini Yoga Mela: A Level Three Experience. Attendance in three of the four Melas within the 1000-day experience; this includes the Opening/Orientation and Closing/Graduating Melas, as well as a third Mela during the 1000-day experience. You will chose
one location and attend the Melas at that location. Melas are held during the summer once a year in Espanola, NM and Europe.
Participate in Peer Dialogue Sessions. The Peer Dialogue Process is a structured framework for small group dialogue that fosters an environment of safety and trust that allows each person to both receive from and contribute to the discussion. The Peer Group takes on the role of supporting individual participants through their process. While a recommended structure and guidelines for Peer Dialogue are provided, the Peer groups are self-run and self-sustaining. They are the heart of the Level Three process.
• You will be randomly assigned to a peer group at your first L3 Mela (5-6 peers per group)
• Minimum of 1000 days (2.7 years)
• Minimum of 10 peer sessions per year; 80% attendance [Therefore each individual must attend a minimum of eight peer sessions per year]
• Teams are self-run and peer facilitated
Apply, share and integrate Level Three concepts into your teaching. As participants in the Level Three program you are expected to reflect on these concepts, utilize them in your teaching and report back each year on your experiences during the 1000-day Level Three program.
Ways you might integrate and share Level Three concepts, include but are not limited to workshops, community-building gatherings and seva experiences. In this way, participants have an opportunity to apply the experience of Level Three consciousness into their role and identity as Teachers as well as seeding these guiding principles within their students and the greater community.
2. Meditative Mind
Goal: To cultivate and refine one’s meditative mind, as achieved through focused application of specific Kundalini Yoga and Meditation practices.
• Path of realization to the awakened self;
• Ability to engage in deep meditation;
• Process of self-refinement achieved through mastering the 21 Stages of Meditation;
• Capacity for Shuniya;
• Understanding and appropriate utilization of the Negative, Positive and Neutral Minds;
• Leading to a continuous presence of consciousness
Intensive Group Meditation Practice.
• Complete 21 Stages: 6 day course (must be done at least once during Level Three)
• An additional 12 days of intensive group meditation practices, such as:
❖ 21 Stages (may be repeated multiple times)
❖ White Tantric Yoga
❖ Japa or intensive group meditation courses as approved by KRI
❖ Sat Nam Rasayan intensive weekends with qualified SNR trainers.
At least one of the courses needs to be for 3 consecutive days. Up to six days of group meditation completed prior to entering Level Three can be applied to the Level Three Meditative Mind requirements, as long as they were taken after completion of Level One Teacher Training.
Level Two courses do not count since they are a pre-requisite for the program.
Personal meditation practice for a minimum of 31 minutes per day for 1000 days; if you have never done a 1000-day meditation, you need to complete a 31-minute meditation for a 1000 consecutive days during Level Three. If you have previously completed a 1000-day meditation, you
are expected to meditate for a minimum of 31 minutes per day every day during Level Three.
Maintaining a daily, and if possible, group Aquarian Sadhana practiced in the Amrit Vela is also part of the identity of a Spiritual Teacher as defined by Yogi Bhajan.
Goal: To deepen an ongoing attitude of Seva, or Selfless Service. To align individual passion, purpose and destiny to build and serve community.
• Seva is Love expressed in actions. Seeing and serving creation;
• Seva is a deep understanding that I am not doing anything. That Seva is done through me. It is the recognition of my Soul’s destiny (my Soul’s original intent) and my surrender (obedience) to the Will of Infinite within;
• Seva is answering the call of duty with no attachment to the outcome;
• Seva is an expression of my commitment to Dharma (spiritual path) above my self- interest;
• Seva is not just an outward expression of serving others, but also of allowing myself to be served;
• Motivation is from a deep sense of joy, satisfaction, contentment and peace;
• Duty is Beauty.
Provides an opportunity to fulfill the Soul’s calling, pursue your destiny, and to serve something bigger than the individual self. The project should further the Teachings and Legacy of Yogi Bhajan and:
• Be of significant scope and approved by Peer Group
• Carried out either individually or as part of a group (provided each individual contributes to the project).
• Documented and presented to Level Three peers in a Seva/Legacy Project Report. ( Presentation can be done in a mode of one’s choice: video, PowerPoint, webcam, etc).
Self-Reflection: Reflect on and discuss in Peer Group (your choice of Seva/Legacy Project, as well as, a series of questions regarding your attitude toward seva.
“The first faculty of a Teacher is to identify to one’s self that one is a Teacher, and to identify to the whole world that one is a Teacher, and third, one should know there is nothing else but a Teacher.”–Yogi Bhajan, from The Master’s Touch, page 181 KRI is not here to say whether an individual is Teacher, as defined by Yogi Bhajan in the Master’s Touch. Each individual must initiate themselves by recognizing and bowing to the Teacher within. Level Three then provides a pathway of practice and self-reflection designed to cultivate the qualities of the Teacher. This provides an opportunity of self-realization where you can qualify yourself and be recognized by peers as a Teacher.
KRI Certification Process
Yogi Bhajan’s stated the Aquarian Teacher Trainer Program be a three level training which would “stand up in a court of law”.
Therefore, as an educational institution, KRI will issue Level Three Certificates that verify an individual has completed the Level Three program requirements and certify that he/she has:
• Followed the pathway laid out in the Teachings of Yogi Bhajan within the framework of the Aquarian Teacher Training Program which has been designed to provide an individual the opportunity to develop a his/her consciousness and caliber so that a Teacher can emerge.
• Completed all KRI Level Three requirements and demonstrated through behavior and action, the skills and competencies associated with being a Teacher
• Publically committed to living the Code of Excellence and embodying the Sixteen Facets of a Teacher.
In Level One and Two your program’s Lead Trainer certified you had fulfilled all the requirements.
In Level Three that responsibility lies with your Peer Group, which signs off on the fulfillment of each of the certification requirements and, once you have completed all the requirements, you are nominated by your peers to KRI for final qualification and graduation
Level Three is more than a three year program. It is our life’s work, polishing our gemlike selves. We continue to grow and awaken our souls to the realization that we are ONE so that we may serve humanity as lighthouses and forklifts.
Part of building the Level Three culture and community of teachers and peers who represent a communal link in the Golden Chain, each Level Three generation of graduates will welcome, support and hand-off to the next generation. Therefore, as a condition for graduation, you are required to commit to participate in at least ONE additional Mela within three years POST graduation. This will help insure the growth of our Level Three community and maintain the sustainability of the Level Three process for future generations.